New January 6 subpoenas issued for 5 Trump allies, including Roger Stone and Alex Jones
The latest batch of summons indicates that the committee continues to focus, in part, on the organizers and funding of the “Stop the Steal” rallies that took place on January 5 and 6, as well as on previous rallies in the months. which preceded the United States Capitol. attack.
Also subpoenaed by the committee on Monday: Dustin Stockton and Jennifer Lawrence, key players in the “Stop the Steal” movement after the election, who the committee says are engaged to each other.
Stockton was one of the administrators of a “Stop the Steal” Facebook group that gathered hundreds of thousands of followers before it was shut down by the social media company on November 5, the day after it launched. According to the committee’s summons letter, Stockton helped organize a series of rallies after the November 2020 election until the rally at the Ellipse in Washington, DC on January 6 to support President Trump and his allegations of electoral fraud.
Taylor Budowich, who is currently the former president’s senior political spokesperson and communications director for the Save America PAC, was the last person to appear on Monday.
“The select committee is seeking information about the rallies and the subsequent march to Capitol Hill that escalated into a violent mob attacking the Capitol and threatening our democracy. We need to know who organized, planned, paid for and received funds related to these events. , as well as what communication organizers had with White House and Congress officials, ”Democratic Representative Bennie Thompson of Mississippi, who chairs the committee, said in a statement.
“We believe that the witnesses we have called to appear today have relevant information and we expect them to cooperate fully in our efforts to obtain answers for the American people on the violence of January 6,” he added.
The committee asks the five people to produce documents by December 6 and has scheduled filing dates for them until mid-December.
In its letter to Jones, the committee cites press reports and its own statements to claim that Jones worked with organizers of the January 6 rally Cindy Chafian and Caroline Wren, both of whom were subpoenaed by the select committee, to “facilitate a donor, now known to be Julie Fancelli, to provide what [he] described as “eighty percent” of funding “for the rally on the Ellipse on January 6.
The committee says Jones was denied a speaking spot at the Jan. 6 rally, but his previous comments indicate he was designated to “lead a march to Capitol Hill, where President Trump would meet with the group.” . The committee specifically acknowledged that once on Capitol Hill Jones told people “not to be violent” and to come together and wait for Trump to speak. Even though Trump has never been to Capitol Hill, the committee said the location where Jones told people to wait “coincided” with the same location where the organizer of the “Stop the Steal” rally, Ali Alexander, had obtained a permit for that day.
The allegation was filed with DC police by Kylie Jane Kremer, executive director of Women for America First, a group that helped organize a series of post-election rallies, including one in a park in the south of the White House that preceded the Capitol Riot. January 6th.
Kremer had already been subpoenaed by the select committee.
The alleged threat occurred outside the Willard InterContinental Hotel, located about two blocks from the White House, according to the police report. The Willard served as an election-related “command center” for Trump’s allies around Jan.6, and the committee expressed keen interest in knowing more about what was going on there at the time.
In its summons letter, the committee said Budowich “allegedly solicited a 501c (4) organization to run a social media and radio advertising campaign encouraging attendance at the Jan. 6 Ellipse rally and making unsubstantiated allegations. on the outcome of the election “.
The committee cited information filed with the panel to claim that Budowich directed approximately $ 200,000 from one or more sources to 501 (c) (4) which was “not disclosed to the organization to pay for the advertising campaign”.
Budowich was a senior advisor for the Trump 2020 campaign, working specifically with Donald Trump Jr. and his girlfriend Kimberly Guilfoyle. He is a longtime right-wing political agent, working as a senior communications advisor for Ron DeSantis during his successful campaign for Governor of Florida in 2018 and previously served as executive director of the Tea Party Express.
The committee might be particularly interested in Budowich’s connection to Guilfoyle. The former Fox News personality was instrumental in planning and preparing for the January 6 rallies. The committee also cited Wren as being potentially “involved in facilitating the transfer of some or all of these funds” to which the committee claims Budowich is related.
CNN has reached out to Budowich for comment.
Dustin Stockton and Jennifer Lawrence
In its subpoena letter to Stockton, the committee cited press reports claiming that he was part of the group of rally planners who contacted Trump and other White House officials, including the chief of Trump’s White House cabinet, Mark Meadows, who finds himself in an emerging impasse. with the committee about his subpoena.
The committee claimed Stockton was among those who warned the White House of the possible danger of an unauthorized march reaching the Capitol while Congress certified the election results, and that Stockton had specifically expressed concerns to Katrina Pierson , a former Trump campaign official. involved in the organization of the January 5 and 6 rallies which served as a liaison between the rally organizers and the White House.
The committee said Pierson, who was also subpoenaed, told Stockton and fellow rally organizer Amy Kremer, who was also subpoenaed, that she would pass this information on to Meadows.
Stone, Jones, Stockton and Lawrence also have long-standing ties to Trump ally Steve Bannon, who is awaiting trial on contempt of Congress over his refusal to cooperate with a committee subpoena.
Stockton and Lawrence released a statement Monday night saying they expected subpoenas, but added: “We are concerned that the time of Thanksgiving week, when most normal business is closed, is a further proof that this committee is not acting in good faith. “
“In the many months that have passed since January 6, we have granted numerous journalists and media numerous official interviews, as we are committed to uncovering the truth about what happened. We remain committed to this. transparency and pray for the opportunity to share our experiences to the public without the taint of misinformation that has become customary, ”continued Stockton and Lawrence.
A combination of material provided to the select committee, news articles and statements from Stone show how he not only promoted his appearance at a “Stop the Steal” event on January 6, but also solicited donations for it and said his goal at the rally was to “lead a march to the Capitol,” according to the panel’s summons letter to him. The committee added that, according to media reports, Stone used members of the Oath Keepers as personal security guards, several of whom stormed the Capitol and at least one who was charged, while in Washington.
Stone told CNN affiliate KOKI on Monday night, “I would probably assert my 5th Amendment right, I would decline to be interviewed.”
In a statement earlier Monday in response to the summons, Stone called the allegations “categorically false.”
“I have said over and over again that I had no prior knowledge of the events that took place on Capitol Hill that day. Any statement, assertion, innuendo or report alleging, or even implying, that I was implicated or known, whether advanced or contemporary, on the commission of unlawful acts by any person or group in or around the United States Capitol or anywhere in Washington, DC on January 6, 2021, is categorically false, ”he said.
Stone was involved in the rise of the “Stop the Steal” movement around the 2020 election. Along with Bannon and Jones, he was among the most notable voices pushing conspiracy theories in the aftermath of the 2020 election.
At the time, Stone appeared on Jones’ far-right radio show to trumpet unsubstantiated claims that Joe Biden was attempting to steal the election, and Bannon echoed similar conspiracy theories about his podcast, calling the election a “mass fraud”.
In the wake of the House’s last major election integrity inquiry, following the 2016 election, Stone was found guilty in a federal court of obstructing Congress and five lies, about his efforts to contact WikiLeaks on behalf of the Trump campaign. He had spent more than three hours of interview in 2017 with a House committee led by the Republicans.
In his criminal trial, which took place before the end of the Trump administration, the Justice Department successfully argued that Stone lied to Congress to protect Trump. Trump later pardoned him.
This story has been updated with additional reports.
Katelyn Polantz and Giovanna Van Leeuwen contributed to this report.