Miss World Cayman Islands 2022 contestants eliminated
Five charming and beautiful ladies selected for the Miss World Cayman Islands 2022 pageant made their first public appearance and were officially released by their sponsors at a private ceremony held at Government House on Wednesday, June 29, 2022.
The event was hosted by His Excellency Governor Martyn Roper and Mrs. Roper. Against the backdrop of Seven Mile Beach and the glistening sun, the evening began with a warm welcome from Governor Roper.
In welcoming Governor Roper said:
Miss World Cayman Islands it really is, it’s become such a big part of our culture, our heritage and what we do in the Cayman Islands, and I know it’s very popular and mentoring and the support he gives to our young women is truly fantastic. I want to thank Pamela, who has been running it for four, five years now.
The program was concise and ran smoothly by the emcee, Miss World Cayman Islands Director Pamela Ebanks-Small.
Pageantry, like anything else in life, is hard work. Anyone who successfully traverses a historical re-enactment course should be commended for fulfilling the many commitments that come with it. It will take a lot of practice and dedication to navigate this historical re-enactment course, but most importantly, our competitors will need our support. Thank you to our pageant and pageant sponsors who believe in what we do and continue to support the training and mentorship of our young women.
said Mrs. Ebanks-Small.
Reigning MWCI Queen Rashana Hydes was in attendance along with 1st Runner Up Alyssa West, 2nd Runner Up Krista Ebanks. Past Queen, Jaci Patrick and young women from Girl Power Cayman also attended. Ms Ebanks-Small also recognized Miss Hydes for her hard work and performance at this year’s Miss World International Pageant where she placed in the top 16 in the head-to-head challenge.
With beauty, grace and high fashion, each contestant gave a formal introduction, highlighted their chosen platform and their planned advocacy work along the contest route. The contestants’ respective sponsor had the opportunity to slash their pageant hope and meet and greet them in person.
The competitors are:
- Leanni Tibbetts (25, from George Town) is sponsored by Maedac Supplies Co Ltd. Miss Tibbetts will partner with Protect Our Future and champion environmental protection
- Melissa Bridgemohan (24, from West Bay) is sponsored by The Wellness Centre. Miss Bridgemohan will partner with Inclusion Cayman to inspire inclusion for all
- Latoya Jackson (21, from Bodden Town) is sponsored by Vampt Motors. Miss Jackson will partner with the Alex Panton Foundation to educate and organize activities and events that create safe spaces for our young people to interact, share and improve their mental health
- Deverlee Ramos Bodden (27, from Cayman Brac) is sponsored by Lee’s Office Products. Miss Ramos Bodden will partner with the Cayman Islands Crisis Center to shed light on domestic violence against women and children, to help educate the public on the issue and to raise funds to offset the cost of building a second refuge.
- Angelique Copeland (23, from George Town) is sponsored by The Physiotherapy Center Ltd. Miss Copeland will partner with the Young Men Christian Association (YMCA) to empower, motivate, mentor and help develop young Caymanians into future leaders.
The beauties, along with reigning Cayman Islands Miss World Rashana Hydes, received gift boxes filled with beauty products from CEL Beauty Supply Ltd. The event ended with attendees mingling with guests, taking photos with Governor Roper, pageant sponsors, family and friends.
One month into the candidate journey, 2022 candidates undertake interviews and public speaking training with Toastmasters, walking, dancing and choreography practice with Sophie Conolly of Center Pointe Dance Studio , intensive wardrobe training, official photo shoot, etiquette training with Meloney Syms and Renita Barnes .
The highly anticipated Miss World Cayman Islands 2022 coronation will take place on Saturday, August 27, 2022, at the Harquail Theater from 7 p.m. (a cocktail party at 6 p.m.). The crowned queen will represent the Cayman Islands in the Miss World pageant and will receive a CI$70,000 scholarship, among other prizes and awards. Tickets will go on sale in mid-July.
For highlights of the 2022 sashing event, contestant journey, and latest updates, please follow MWCI’s Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter social media pages. For more information on the MWCI 2022 contest or if you would like to become a sponsor of the contest, please email [email protected]